On account of Road safety week (11th Jan’15 – 17th Jan’15) and 65th Republic day,We planned for “Safety Torch Run”, a 65 km relay run with flame of light torch by individuals, who follow road safety rules on daily life, through critical spots of chennai to spread out the road safety messages to the people.
As planned, on 11.01.15, the Run began at 6 am at Valluvar Kottam and finished at Ashok Pillar at 4 pm.
The event was kickstarted with a flashmob on road sfatey by Nanda & team from TCS.
At 6am, the safety torch was Lit by Mrs. Seetha Lakshmi, Physical Education Director and the run was kicked off by Social Activist Mr. Jahir Hussain.
The flame travelled across 23 junctions by 78 people who were cheered by open public at almost all places.
65 individuals participated in the run(One person/km) and 150+ volunteers cheered them at various junctions throughout the run.
In the evening at the endpoint, Gandhian Kalyanji who worked as direct secretary to Mahatma Gandhi was honoured as Chief Guest. He received the torch and took the pledge along with the volunteers to make our country an Accident Free Nation.
The run was carried out for bringing out the following awareness among people,
- Importance of stop line and abiding Traffic signal.
- Necessities of wearing helmet and seat belt.
- Insisting Safe Road crossing by insisting pedestrians on following rules.
- Risks of driving with distractions (Mobile phones, Music players, etc.,)
- Dangers of drunken driving and risks associated with it.